Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Einstein

It was late and we were laying on the couch
Lovey next to me
our teeth brushed
his leg over me, me holding his foot
I took one of his toes and pulled on it
my thumb and forefinger popping
and I pulled my hand up to my mouth
and popped the invisible toe in
like a ripe grape
then worked my way down to the piggie
that cried all the way home
and he pulled his foot away
and rolled over, offering me another foot
to eat from

the toes were delicious

Lovey said maybe I should hold your foot
and laid down with his head by my foot
holding it in his two small hands
and we watched television for a minute,
he went back to my end to get a pillow
and laid it, then his head, on me,
his arms around my leg
and too soon I could feel his legs twitching
and his breathing get heavier, rhythmic
and I turned the television off, watching him
with his eyes closed
and remembered that if together we could just go fast enough
time would stand still.

No comments: