Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Don't Know How This Poem Is Going To End

Usually I write backwards;
I start with the last line and then
back my way to the beginning,

But where's the adventure in that?
where's the surprise, the wonder
in not knowing what happens next?

tonight I set off with nothing,
a happy song playing through
noise canceling headphones,
laptop on my knees,
kitty at my feet,
small boy asleep in his bed

while I try to find the current
under the surface of a sea of white space

knowing that 60 times a second
my computer is checking to see whether I've written anything,
thought of anything,
how about now?
has he done anything yet?
was that a keystroke?

there are some days when you need to
just launch, closing your eyes,
unfurling the canvas
ready to plant your flag wherever you hit land
go wind, I'm ready; take me.

No comments: