Monday, October 27, 2008

I Learned This Strategy From The Guy That Moved My Cheese

The trouble with the size of the world
is that sometimes it takes you too long
to get to and from the things you want to do,
the things you love

But the key is to make use of the time
spent in transit; for instance, just yesterday
I was driving in crowded but moving
traffic on the Santa Ana Freeway
under a descending orange sun
and the thought occurred to me
that life isn't a movie, that people can't
just instantly call up the clever thing
to say at the right time, the profound
thing, the thing that will settle the argument,
calm the bully, stop the hurt

And what someone really ought to do is write
a small book, pocket sized, that you could carry
in your pocket like a Spanish/English
dictionary, and when someone stole your space
at the mall you could get out of your car
and quickly thumb through the index to
Parking: Snarky Comments

Everything indexed for easy reference:
Children: Vegetable Reluctance
Fast Food: Incorrect Change
Relationships: Goodbye: Responses

I got home and sat at my laptop
but all I could write was this:
1. No, wait. Please don't go yet.

No comments: