Monday, October 27, 2008

Not To, You Know, Sound Bitter Or Anything

The sun was setting behind the head
of a pretty girl who was in the process
of telling me that we shouldn't see each other
anymore, and as soon as she said, "Look. Uhh,"
I knew what was coming. I slid down in my seat
and my mind wandered, to this:

A story in the news about the world's fattest man,
who, in 2006, had weighed over 1,200 pounds,
and who had gotten married in Monterrey, Mexico,
bedridden for six years, his bed was decorated in white
and brought to the ceremony on a flatbed truck,
on the advice of his doctors he did not eat from the 5 tiered cake

I leaned forward and took the girl's hand
as she apologized, conversations around us
getting quieter, the young man at the adjoining table
putting an acoustic guitar in its case,
I looked away from her to a cupcake we had shared
and not finished, its frosting glistening in the decaying light

No comments: