Thursday, October 30, 2008

Relocation

A light in the parking lot
was out and Lovey held onto me,
one arm around my neck,
one hand in his mouth,
sucking his on his last three fingers,
we walked back a narrow sidewalk
between low hedges in the dark,
this is it, I say.
I open the gate, we enter.
I turn on the lights and put him down
and he runs to a 9 inch rubber ball
that I'd left on the floor for him
in the living room, there is no other furniture.
I sit down, cross legged on the floor
as he kicks the ball against the wall,
chasing it to the fireplace, then kicks it towards
the room that will be his,
I turn on the light there and he crawls into
the closet and shuts the door, giggling.
He doesn't know this yet,
but I've failed him.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I think an email is long overdue!